Monki Gras 2018 notes Friday Morning5 minutes 49 seconds average read (1164 words)
Mazz Mosley - Sustainability in a Tech Startup
- 10% of all products go straight to landfill, because it's not tailored to demand
- Zara shortened the supply chain from 2 month to 2 weeks
- Nike customised trainers make up 25% of their online sales
- On demand manufacture
- Automated knitting machines
- Global supply chain for on-demand knitwear
- Customisation editor - online
- e-commerce integration
- Knitting programs
- Changing R&D code to SLA code is quite tricky
- Yay Open Source People
- I don't have time to develop the perfect architecture
- Don't get attached to any one bit of code
- Remote manufacturing
- Agile is not a thing you buy, Agile is a thing you are
- The tech industry is still terrible at hiring
- Only hiring Senior devs is not sustainable
- Hiring Bias
- Men are hired on their Potential
- Women are hired on their past record
What can you do
- Read more books
Mandy Whaley - Marie Curie & Open Source Kickstarter and Women in Tech
Marie Curie Timeline
5 duels were thought over the honour of Marie Curie:
The first Kickstarter, crowdfunding was to buy Marie Curie 1gram of Radium.
Ricardo J Mendez - It's all about the curry
Craft is nice, but now I have a job to do
What is craft?
- Doing things by hand?
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Jiro's Quest for Perfection
- To improvise you need to trust your fellow players/team mates
- Diversity generates good teams
- If you're running a team you work for them not the other way round
- Define best practise
- Best practised help you when things are going bad
- Build good habits
- give you perspective
- challenge you
- The wrong people will turn your whole day into "Table-Flipping O'Clock"
- Frameworks are training wheels for the mind
- they're useful when starting, but soon become a hindrance
Joni Saylor - The Design Process at IBM
- Good Design is Good Business - Eliot Noyes
Powers of Ten
Craft can not sustain without a culture that supports it - Phil Gilbert
People + practices + Places = Culture
- Don't be an "other." Embed designers + craft into teams.
- Fall in love with your medium and domains as soon as possible.
- Decentralize leadership and ownership of Craft.
- Design thinking paves the way for craft to thrive.
- Observe, Reflect, Make
- Create spaces that enable craft and nurture makers.
- Best practice evolves but craft stays constant